Monday, 5 January 2015

The After Christmas Burp

Isn't that title amazing?

Thanks, thanks. It paints such vivid picture, I just don't want to change it. This post, however, has nothing to do with burping.

So when we last spoke we'd established that we were back in Canada and life was humming along tickity-boo. We had a lovely Christmas, void of snow (CURSES), and now we're back to life and back to reality in 2015.

2014 started with us not knowing we were on the cusp of moving back to Canada. It started with me having coffee with all my lovely friends, running errands, just living life, and then one day: BAM. LB tried to get my Dad to chase her through the Skype screen and life as we knew it changed.

It was time to move back to Canada.

It was time to be near family so our little bean could know her family.

Not just the digital version.

It took me ages to come to terms with our decision, and when we decided we were going for it we had to work out the logistics with my parents because we needed a crash landing pad when we first got back. You see, the same way we moved to Switzerland was the same way we moved back to Canada: blindly. I had a job to return to since I'd never really left it to begin with: all those years in Switzerland I kept working for the same company, so when we came back I shouldered the challenge of keeping us moving forward while Dan hunted down a job in his field.

When we knew for sure we could stay with my parents until Dan had a job, it was time to start breaking the news to our Swiss friends and family. It was really the hardest thing to do. I don't know, when it was time to move to Switzerland I blithely announced we were moving and didn't really hesitate to share the news. Coming back was trickier. Our lives are entwined with more people.

I told a friend in Starbucks and we both cried, then took our kids to the park and cried some more.

I told another friend as we hiked down the Gurten and we both cried, then took our kids to Migros and tried to fight back more tears.

Everyone I told cried, and I cried too, and that's a good sign. It's a sign of true friendships; lifelong friendships. I miss all of them, terribly, everyday.

I told friends in Canada we were moving back and we celebrated. I told family, and we celebrated some more.


Ups and downs, downs and ups.

Dan and I work full time, which means we're weekend warriors these days, and so the chance to connect with friends on a weekday basis requires more planning. I also find that in Canada, people aren't as social in general. That's not meant to be a slam or for people to feel defencive that they're social so STFU, Caitie!

It's what we've noticed.

There aren't as many social clubs here as where we were living; friends hesitate more to grab a half hour coffee at the end of a work day; people here loudly sigh--to my absolute,teeth grinding, annoyance--they're busy.

Ack! Busyness, a fear of gluten, and attempts to work hemp hearts and chia seeds into everything, are pandemic over here!

It's driving me fucking crazy!

I also will have a later post about the differences between Canadians and Swiss people, because guess what? There are loads. And to be honest, I've felt really let down by certain things I've witnessed over here that I completely forgot about, or was too entrenched in to notice.

And of course, despite all of the above, we're happy.

We moved into our own house on December 1st, which for the record December is a terrible month to move house. I was driving home from work one day and a digital Christmas countdown clock in a neighbour's yard announced seven days to Christmas and I loudly proclaimed, "FUCK. SERIOUSLY?" And then panicked about my Christmas shopping.

In 2014 we started the year living in Switzerland, in an apartment, riding the bus everywhere, wondering where we'd travel to that year.

In 2015 we start the year living in Canada, in our own house, each driving a car, wondering where we'll travel to this year.

Twelve months isn't a long time, but it is.

Lots can happen, lots can change, and there's a lot to be excited about.

1 comment:

T said...

It drives me crazy that we had to move back to LL just as you guys moved back! At least an hour drive is a lot closer than the flight and bus ride would be!

Lunch date soon, I'm just too lazy to look at the calendar right now :P