Monday, 16 December 2013

The Eleven Days of Christmas: Day Three

This Christmas season I have been celebrating advent by baking a new cookie every week. We started the first Sunday of advent with some of my pillow-soft gingersnaps, which leads me to believe I need to rename the cookie because they definitely don't 'snap'. Maybe I will call them "Ginger Pillows" or "Those Soft Cookies That Taste Like Ginger". At any rate, they are supposed to 'snap' but I take them out of the oven before they can get too hard, because nothing kills my buzz faster than a crunchy cookie.

Blech.

Next up was my lemon poppy seed cookies, which are also soft. I am quite proud of these cookies because I think (in my not-so-humble-opinion) I have made them BETTER than the original recipe. Essentially, they are supposed to be drizzled with a lemon glaze once they are completely cooled but I thought that if I drizzled them with the glaze when they first came out of the oven, the hot cookie would absorb the tarty drizzle which would keep them even softer. I was right, and these beauties are decadent. They're almost like little cakes, rather than cookies.

Full disclosure: I made three batches of these in one week, because we loved them so much. Also one batch is quite small, so really it's almost like it was one regular sized batch.

Yes....

The other cookie we've made are some classic sugar cookies, which we decorated yesterday. In keeping with my abhorrence of hard cookies, I cut these on the thicker side and bake them for the minimum time called for.

 
Untitled
My favourite shapes!
 
Decorating cookies is a pain in the ass. It really is. Sure it's sort of fun, for maybe two cookies, then I find it boring and tedious. Dan is the opposite of me, and he likes the careful attention to detail so we found a good balance for our decorating day: Dan carefully piped designs onto his cookies, and I went to town with sprinkles for mine.
 
However, I'd like to add that my application of sprinkles could absolutely be classified as post-modern in the baking world. I'm sure of it. I even know a professional baker who'd bake (wink, wink) me up on this. So you shouldn't assume I was utterly lazy. No, I prefer to think that my sprinkle cookies are the Pollocks of the cookie world.
  
 
Untitled
A sampling of Dan's beautifully piped cookies.
 
Untitled Untitled
My sprinkly-sprinkle cookies!
(the bear with the covered rump is my favourite)
 
I think, though, that baking these cookies for advent was really just a good excuse for me to use my new timer. It's shaped like a cupcake and I bought it at a fancy store for 50% off. Clearly it had to come home with me.
 
 Untitled Untitled
 
Also, LB wasn't that into decorating these cookies. She was interested in squashing her hand into the sprinkles, and trying to convince Cosmo she's the boss.
 
She also tries to convince me of this, too.
 
It's the cutest when kids think they're right.

2 comments:

T said...

Love the picture of Lil! Also, you have me aching to bake cookies, here is hoping the little man lets me this week :)

mom said...

Love the cookies Cait ! And I hate to tell you this but Lill is the boss :-) xx