Thursday, 12 September 2013

Observations

LB and I have been having a truly excellent visit home, and I've been meeting up with friends for park play dates, coffees, lunches, and going to the movies. I love being here. Canada is my home, end of story. Also, I'm not feeling that culture shock of, 'Whoa! Huge grocery store!' or 'Whoa! That's cheap!' that I have felt in past visits, and I think it's probably because we were just here in March/April. However, there's definitely two points that have made me stop and scratch my head.

Point 1

People of Kamloops/100 Mile House: what's with the pyjama bottoms in public?

LB and I were up in 100 Mile House last week visiting Dan's parents, and we were in the grocery store when I rounded the corner and came across a mom and her two kids who were just walking the aisles...in their jammies. THEY WERE IN PUBLIC IN THEIR PJ'S. A WHOLE FAMILY OF THEM. What the what?

(Also, this has nothing to do with anything, but we were eating dinner on the lawn at my in-law's place, and there were five deer grazing and chilling out by the chicken coop. I was totally terrified. Then my mother-in-law told me to get out of Switzerland if I was starting to be afraid of deer. Hahahaha!! Since she was born and raised there, raised her family there, her words struck me as especially funny.)

Alright, let's be serious, of course I know that some people have started to wear their pyjamas in public, but I've maybe only seen it twice since it became 'a thing'. These past two weeks? I've seen it over a dozen times. At what point did people decide that sweatpants were too fancy, and they were switching to pyjamas? I'm sorry, but I can't get on board with this 'trend' because it is a sign of being utterly lazy. There is no other word for it.

While here in Kamloops I paused to gape at the fact that there was a father in an insurance place with his wife/girlfriend and kid, and he was chatting about insurance with the agent while wearing his pyjama bottoms. Internet, let's be real: if you wear your pyjama pants into a place of business, do not expect anyone to take you seriously. At all. Ever.

Canada, you are better than this. You really are. Have some pride in your appearance and make the distinction that what you wear to bed is not something that you wear when out running errands.

Ever.

No matter what.

I'm not arguing this from a fashion point of view (though, let's be honest, they're hideous) it's about what this implies for the society as a whole. Would you take financial advise from an individual who shows up to work in their pyjamas? What about legal advise? A judge overseeing a trial in their pyjamas? What about a teacher who shows up to work in their pyjamas? You know, instinctively it's not right. But why?

Sure you could argue that what they're wearing doesn't impede their ability to work, but societies have standards and a person who can't even be bothered to get dressed, quite frankly, gives the impression they could care less about anything at all--including doing the job they are being paid to do.  

Point 2:

The penny is no longer a thing in Canada anymore, but did you know that businesses haven't adjusted their pricing accordingly?! This was the case in March when we were last here, but I didn't really pay it any mind. Today, however, I'm at the corner store buying LB her homogenised milk and the lady tells me I have to pay two cents more than the price on the cash register because 'we don't have pennies anymore, so we're rounding this up.' Then I looked at her like she must think I was born yesterday.

You want me to pay two cents more than the original price?

I explained I was 'out of the loop' about the penny and her response was, "Lots of countries don't have the penny," to which I acknowledged that I currently live in a country that doesn't have it, but I've never been asked to pay more at the till. Why haven't they adjusted their prices?

Internet, I was just asking. I wasn't angry about it, I wasn't being aggressive, but I wasn't about to accept this bullshit policy where they 'round up'. In my mind that's lemonade stand business, it's not developed-world business! Well, this employee was super defensive, angry about my question, and basically tensed up like I was about to crowd her personal space and try to convince her that Scientology was totally true.

But come on, it's a valid question don't you think? How much extra have people had to pay to 'round up?' Of course one could argue that by adjusting their pricing, they could adjust it so that when taxes, etc, are factored in, the price is more so aren't I just at a standstill?

My response? No.

It's totally baffling that prices haven't been adjusted when this coin was done away with, and it frankly embarrasses me to have a system in place (here in Kamloops, anyway) that is not consistent and changes from business-to-business, on the whim of the person handling the cash register.

If the penny is out of circulation, fix your prices.

End of story.

I even hear there are people in this world who are really good at math, and I bet they could totally help you with the price adjustment!

So get on it, because this current system, much like the pyjama people, is lazy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the Pyjamas, it's crazy and unacceptable.

With regards to the penny, I think things are still kind of in transition. There is expense involved in changing prices, updating tills / software... but I do think there should be a date by which the merchant has proceedures in place so that the price you see on the till is the price you pay. In the meantime I think rounding is acceptable. Mind you, the policy should be posted somewhere.

When the Government retired the penny, there was a lot of information in the media about how your total bill will be rounded up or down; if it's three cents or more it's rounded up, and rounded down if it's two cents or less. This is a policy across the board, not just in the store you visited.
While half the time you will pay 2 cents more, the other half of the time you will pay 2 cents less and the business loses out.

Some stores such as Loblaws always round down, so if your bill is $9.54 you still only pay $9.50, but that's at their option.

Sarah