Thursday, 23 May 2013

German is Gross

I have a larger post brewing, but I can't work up the energy to think.  So here's something to bridge the gap.

My German language skills are pretty shit, and I'm forgetting loads of what I learnt in classes. I know, when living amongst German speakers how is it possible to forget German? Um, I don't live amongst German speakers; I live amongst Swiss German speakers and Swiss German is one giant mind...firetruck. 

So there we go, now that I've established that, I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I'm just purposefully forgetting words because honestly German is such an ugly language sometimes.

Case in point:

The other night I was brushing my teeth, and I was zoning out by staring at the Listerine bottle when something caught my attention that I hadn't paid attention to before. This word: Zahnfleisch.

You know what it means?

It literally translates to English as "Teeth Meat."

Ugh! So gross!

They call people's gums, TEETH MEAT. 

Also, here's a word that just...I can't...it's so gross!

Brustwarze

Perhaps this is something the breastfeeding moms heard from time to time in the hospital. Or maybe a young lad or lady went and got this body part pierced, it was subsequently infected, and they had to go to the doctor for a lengthy discussion. Or maybe someone is just one of those rare people who are born with more than two.

Do you know what body part I'm referring to?

The nipple, of course. Or, as the literal German translation goes, the...breast wart.

Gag! Hurl! Hold my hair back! Puke!

What a disgusting word!

BREAST WART.

Ugh.

And that concludes this German language lesson for today.

Juuuiiicceeeee.

4 comments:

mom said...

Uh Cait, it is time to come home :-)

Anonymous said...

OMG! This post had Riccardo and me crying with laughter. SO TRUE!

Also, thanks for the lesson! Don't think I'll ever forget those two gems now!

xx Crystal

Caitie said...

Crystal--Glad you enjoyed it :-)

gary said...

Nice post.The importance of a German translation being accurate and efficient can indeed not be overstated. Especially in the ever faster moving world of globalized business, successful information and technology transfer within multinational businesses can make the difference between win or lose.