Tuesday, 14 May 2013

Conversating

This past Sunday was Mother's Day, as I'm sure you know. Mine was pretty damn great, how was yours?

I received a big bouquet of flowers, a handmade card with squishy baby hand prints inside, a gift certificate to my favourite clothing store and...(drum roll please)...I DIDN'T HAVE TO COOK. That's right I had breakfast and dinner served up, whilst I kicked up my heels and read. Oh man, it was a great day.

That evening as we ate dinner (beef stroganoff, Dan's speciality) Dan opened a bottle of red wine to go with, and when I brought the glass to my mouth for my first sip I had an urge to do something I never do. Something that makes me laugh, quite honestly, because I'm immature and don't really believe it's a 'thing' even though yes it's a mega established 'thing' in the wine world.

But I was inspired.

Sideways had just been on the television a few weeks ago, I watched maybe three seconds of it (I don't find it to be that great of a movie. You?), and those three seconds involved Paul Giamatti making love to his glass of wine with his nose. You know the part(s). It's where he waxes poetic about the bouquet of aroma effusing from that crimson beverage and it makes him heady in the head.

So I decided to give it a go.

I decided to sniff my wine, even though--haha--I still think it's the most ridiculous thing in the world, and am quite aware of the fact that this makes me uncouth.

Whatevs.

So I swirled the wine around, brought the glass to my nose and heavily inhaled, then was surprised that it was actually a quite pleasant sensation, this aroma of wine. I smelled raspberries. So I asked Dan to do the same.

"Swirl the wine around and smell it. What do you smell?"

Dan obligingly swirled his wine around and thoughtfully brought his nose to the glass.

"Hmm...", he exhaled.

"What do you think? What do you think it smells like?"

"I think it smells like..." he trailed off again as he swirled his glass with due deliberation. "I think it smells like...cellar."

"Cellar?"

"Yeah, it smells like a dark old cellar that has potatoes in it."

Then I laughed so hard food flew out of my mouth.

1 comment:

mom said...

That is too funny Cait :-)