Thursday, 22 November 2012

She's Swiss!

A fact about Bernese people (maybe all Swiss) is they like to stare. They really, really like to stare. All guests who have ever visited us from far and away have commented that they've felt the beady and inquisitive eyes of a bored public commuter boring into their soul and refusing to look away once eye contact is returned. Because haven't you caught yourself just staring at someone as your mind wanders, but all of a sudden you realize the person is looking back so you jump to attention and go out of your way to pretend: Nope! Wasn't looking at you! Well, people here don't do that. They keep staring. And staring. And staring.

It's awkward.

So this morning LB and I were in Bern and I was doing some extremely important errands, like deciding if I was going to buy some new shoes. We were approaching LB's mid-morning bottle break, so I ventured down to Starbucks so I could feed her. Here is where I'd like to extend a big shout-out to corporate America. Corporate America: thanks for always having baby change tables in your facilities. It means a lot to me considering that in LB's short life I have had to change her on no less than FIVE toilet seat covers because the restaurants didn't have baby change tables! 

I got a toffee nut latte and a Christmas muffin, changed LB, and she happily sucked on her bottle while I eavesdropped on a pair of young British business people who were sitting beside me and working frantically on their tiny, nearly non-existent, computers. These young men were typing furiously and throwing around phrases like 'cross-strategize', 'HR synergy', 'won't get pissed at Christmas party', 'PDF's', 'bloody email', and 'target marketing'. It was all very impressive.

After LB finished eating I propped her up so she could look around while I sipped my coffee and enjoyed my muffin. It soon came to my attention that the young businessmen would pause in their typing and look my way. Since I have left the house--just this week--with baby vomit twirled into the ends of my hair (I didn't know about it!) I checked myself for mysterious and hidden upchuck, but found nothing. They kept looking and I realized it was because LB was staring them down. She was intent on looking at them, her little bobble head was rocking and rolling, and by god she was not going to break her blue-eyed stare. Those young men were the object of her intense gaze and she didn't give a damn about social protocol. She was going to look, and keep looking, and look some more.

She's truly from Bern!

But I don't think they minded that much.


After all, she's pretty damn cute.

Also, I did some staring of my own on the ride home today.

A teen got on the bus with the most horrific hickey that I have seen in years. It was grotesque! It looked like someone stuck a toilet plunger on the side of his neck and pulled.

Shudder.
 

2 comments:

Dad said...

Thanks for the morning laugh Cait....really funny stuff! And LB is looking fine.

mom said...

That is funny Cait - she is a true Swiss :-) Nice picture of her, she is so cute!!!