Tuesday, 18 September 2012

It's Been One Month!

She's one month old today!

August 18th.

One month ago today I was still running on adrenaline and hadn't slept in over 24 hours. LB had been sleeping on my chest since I was wheeled into my room at about 6 a.m., and I was in total bliss that our girl was healthy and my sciatic pain was gone.

Seriously, it disappeared as soon as she was born.

In the one month that Dan and I have been parents LB has vomited on Dan's face, I have learnt to never not have a diaper under baby's toosh while changing her, and we have learnt that the second you think, "Ah, now I'm going to relax on the couch," the baby will telepathically pick up your thoughts and decide, "Hell no you're not," and demand attention for the next forty-five minutes. Afterwards you will think, "Forget it, I'm going to bed."

It has been a great month, and I can't believe how much has happened. She went from being a tiny little newborn who was so wee that the act of suckling tired her out almost immediately, to being a still-wee baby who has the strength to suckle but still refuses to eat at a quick pace.

Our LB likes to dine.

This is especially inconvenient during those quiet midnight hours when you're so tired it takes all your strength not to face plant onto the floor, and you just want the baby to finish eating so you can go back to bed.

Here's our month in pictures:

 
IMG_0202
Hours old, baby girl.
 
IMG_0219
We knew from the very beginning she was a happy girl.
 
IMG_0246
But the 48hrs she spent under the jaundice lights did not make her mother happy.
Not one bit.
I think I might have cried more than she did.
I was embarrassing her in front of the nurses.
 
IMG_0250
So it's a good thing when we got to go home.
(so small!)
 
IMG_0265
Once home it was time to test out our baby gear...
on the cats.
What?!
We had to make sure we wouldn't drop her.
And FYI, Cosi LOVES the Ergo carrier.
Totally digs being packed around.
 
IMG_0317
Those early days were filled with a rigorous pumping-bottle feeding schedule to get her weight up.
IMG_0277
It was tiring, as you can see.
 
IMG_0333
To amuse myself, I play with her hair.
She looks like a little gnome in this shot.
So sweet I got a cavity.
 
IMG_0368
She just gives me a raised eyebrow.
Be cool, mom! Be cool!
 
IMG_0393
Makes me smile.
 
IMG_0319
Which I like to think makes her smile, too.
 
(P.S. I totally got a 'real' smile today. Awesome.)
 
IMG_0423
She's starting to be okay with tummy time, but generally she hates it.
 
IMG_0399
It's much more interesting to look up.
 
IMG_0383
But tiring, too.
 
IMG_0410
Our girl, rocking her snow leopard dress.
 
IMG_0427
But being so cute is tiring.
Our one month old baby girl, resting after a hard day of resting.
 
Excuse me now, I'm off to figure out how to slow time.

2 comments:

mom said...

What a lovely blog Cait! All I can suggest about time is to just take your time. Don't be in a rush to get things done. Enjoy every moment with Lill - housework will always be there, believe me! Love mom

T said...

YAY for baby pictures! You both look so proud and happy(as you should, I love it!) Love the pic of Cosmo in the carrier too :)