Monday, 13 August 2012

Perfect Weekend

Friday was my birthday and I know it's not cool to be all, "Boo-hoo, it sucks getting older," but I never claimed I was cool. In fact, if you dig through the archives it is very apparent that I have done everything within my power to show you all just how uncool I like to be. For example, remember the time I opted not to go to the clubs with my girlfriends and instead spent Saturday night at home in my p.j.'s watching a marathon of Keeping Up Appearances on the Knowledge Network. That's how I roll, Internet; don't be intimidated.

So anyhow, I'm not cool, never have been, never will be, and hence I woke up on Saturday feeling, "Boo-hoo, it sucks getting older. I don't want to be 31. I have to spend my birthday on bed rest and waiting for a toilet repairman. Cry me a river, and all that."

So I got up, stiffly made my way to the computer where I worked for a bit, then onto the couch where I texted with my sister for awhile while waiting for the guy to come and fix our toilet.

Then the doorbell rang around 9:30, and when I opened it there was not in fact a toilet repairman standing there but rather my very dear friend and she had come bearing gifts!  The first thing that ran through my mind was, "Huh? She's supposed to be on a trip?" Then I thought, "Oh shit, I really need to get in the habit of brushing my hair after I shower." So I was totally surprised and delighted to have someone to chat the morning away with.

She brought me some books to read, croissants to eat, a sunny sunflower to brighten my day, and a homemade chocolate cake she made herself that was so damn delicious I swear I've never eaten anything better.

Z
Here it is!
I'm sad to report it's all gone now...

Dan came home over lunch bearing flowers, and then he proceeded to set-up a little gift table for me.

Z
Presents!
If you don't get excited over presents you are dead inside!
Dead!

The card says 'GSL' which is a joke between us. When in Canada, my nick-name for Dan was ESL (English as a Second Language) because he made some really hilarious language blunders. Now he calls me GSL, which is very kind of him since I do not know enough German to quantify it as a second language, though I've made my fair share of blunders (for example, the time I told everyone we ate dog for dinner and people were horrified. I was trying to say the Swiss-German word for rabbit).

Since I have been drooling over the fall clothes, but am realistically not expecting to be able to purchase anything anytime soon, Dan decided to buy me fall accessories. He got me a new leather purse, a scarf, and a hat. He was extremely stressed by this shopping trip and spent Thursday night in restless agony, despairing that he didn't think the gifts he chose were any good. Silly boy, they were perfect and very, very thoughtful.

Z
I miss this cake.

On Friday night we chowed down on pizza and watched movies, and Dan told me had one more surprise for me on Sunday.

Yes! Why do I ever dread birthdays? They're the greatest!

Keeping in mind that I still can not walk with any degree of mobility, it turns out the Sunday surprise was a first-class brunch cruise around the Thunersee (Thun Lake) on an old ship. Food and a view, it doesn't get any better than that!

DSC_0525
Since Dan clearly wins the gold medal in the 'Best Husband' Olympics, I made him pose like Bolt.
It's entirely possible we've watched too much Olympics these past two weeks.

The brunch was really delicious, and the two hours it took to cruise around the lake were awesome. Lots of fresh juices, free coffee-refills, and the glaring reminder that I am not really first-class material as I kept giggling like crazy as I snapped pictures of the most ironic condiment to grace our table:

DSC_0526
Titanic creamers!
Oh well, if we went down at least I knew first-class would have first access to the lifeboats!

It was a really lovely weekend, all made possible by the lovely people in my life!

3 comments:

T said...

Happy belated birthday Caitie! I'm glad you had a great weekend!

mom said...

The cruise sounds lovely Cait. I'm glad that you had such a nice birthday.

Ais said...

Oh you lucky girl!!! I'm glad you had a great weekend, and tell Dan he did a bang up job in spoiling you :) Also, I want to see your gifts!