Monday, 16 July 2012

Week 32

Week 31 was great because we had our friends from Canada visiting! Not only are they the perfect visitors in that they wash dishes and come home with supplies of groceries, but I was also glad to have them here so that I could catch up on all the latest news and views from B.C. and beyond; though, I think I overdid it a bit because I've almost lost my voice!

FROM TALKING.

I don't have a cold or anything, but this afternoon I sounded like a teenage boy as my voice cracked and trembled as I chatted with Dan over lunch. 

This clearly means one thing: I might need to get out more.

Maybe.

Z
Visitors!

Some particular highlights from this week have been drinking a lot of iced coffee, eating lots of ice cream, talking, talking, talking, talking, going to a cookie factory and feeling like I'm seven years old again due to an extreme sugar overdose, talking, talking, talking, dinners, more talking, and explorations.

ZZ
Castles and boats.

Z
And mountains.

In Little Baby news...oof, this one is starting to feel heavy (I probably need to lay off the cookies and ice cream now) and I'm learning that the jostling of the bladder is a very painful reality.

I am only six weeks away from Week 40, which is considered full-term and I can't believe how fast it's going. In fact, everytime I think about it I may or may not feel sweaty and slightly panicked because guys....we're having a baby.

HOW'D THAT HAPPEN?

ZX
Just having a baby....sort of a big deal.

I have no idea how our lives are going to change--I can't even comprehend it--and I think fondly back on my clueless 25 year-old self who used to think, "I'd like about four kids. That sounds like a good number." Now I'm thinking, "Let's start with one and see how things go."

Though as you can clearly see from the above, there is always going to be more than one little baby vying for my attention.

We consider ourselves as materially ready for the baby as we're going to get. We only need to pick up some diapers and a car seat, but otherwise we've got a little supply of clothes to get us started, we have a crib and mattress, we have blankets, we have storybooks (extremely important), a little tub to bath LB in, jammies, a stroller, a baby carrier, and of course a dresser. What else do we need? Who knows, but I'm sure we'll figure it out PDQ when the time comes. 

But the baby is coming, and LB is really making it apparent that space is getting to be at a premium in there, because last week my stomach started shifting when LB moves. The right side of my belly will get extremely high and hard, and when you poke the spot it's like there's a little baby butt sticking out. I'm not going to lie: it's really weird and freaky and I feel like a science experiment.

"But it's so beautiful and magical and special and amazing."

Yeah, okay, sure...but it's also really weird to know something is alive inside of you and you can see it moving around. Don't even try to deny it!

After bidding Alexi and Clarence bon voyage this morning, the next task this week is to start clearing out the office and getting the room set up for LB. Pictures of the nursery will come when it's all put together, and after LB has arrived (which, please don't let that be any later than six more weeks. Things are getting uncomfortable, yo).

1 comment:

T said...

I'm jealous of your friends for getting to visit you guys! I wish I could have figured out a way to make it out there this summer. I'm glad you had a good visit though!

Also, I'm looking forward to seeing LB's room once it is set up!