Thursday, 5 April 2012

You Get What You Pay For?


Where was I?

What was I doing?

Why wasn't I giving baby updates? Or encounters with crazy people updates?

Well, let's rewind back to last Saturday when I woke up at 4:00 a.m. and felt like I was going to jump out of my skin. Picture you are standing outside on a beautiful 30 degree summer day, now let's make it a bit more uncomfortable by throwing a blanket of humidity over you, and just for kicks, we're also going to make you wear a 100% pure wool sweater against your bare skin. Can you imagine this?

Excellent. Because it's how I've felt since 4:00 a.m. last Saturday.

I won't go into a lot of detail because it's nothing special and also because boundaries, Internet!, boundaries! I will say that everything is a.o.k. with the little baby and with me too, and basically I have had a somewhat prolonged reaction to a visit we made to Dan's aunt and uncle's farm two weeks ago.

What I do want to comment on though is that from Saturday morning at 4 a.m. to Wednesday night at 11 p.m. I had not slept for more than two consecutive hours in row. I really, really, doubt I've had more than ten hours of sleep since last Saturday, and on Monday I tried to work and sound semi-competent, but on Tuesday I had to throw in the towel. So what has been great is that given how uncomfortable I am, there has been zero delay by the medical system in getting me looked at.

I have no history of allergies, and because I'm pregnant I was told on Sunday to go to the hospital for observation. There was no waiting around and I was seen right away with my OBGYN coming up to see me too (which as an apologetic Canadian made me feel *really* bad!). Then I was seen first thing Monday morning for blood tests to eliminate possible scary things, and the next day those results came back okay. On Wednesday I had an another appointment with my OB and she did not like the looks of me and called the hospital's special diagnostic clinic and told them they were seeing me the same day.

I went to the hospital where three different doctors looked at me and prescribed me a treatment, and last night I slept.

For six glorious consecutive hours.

The one thing Dan and I keep wondering about is what if this had happened to me in Canada? How quickly would I my situation have improved? Would my one doctor have been able to call specialists and tell them they were seeing me that day?

One thing I won't be able to complain about here is paying for medical and never using it, because this week I truly saw my money at work and I'm thankful for that because today I feel great (only mildly uncomfortable which is a HUGE improvement), and my brain is functioning again and I'm off to the races to play catch-up.

Dan and I are also hoping to do some hiking this Easter long weekend, so hopefully I will have some pictures sooner than later!


mom said...

So very glad to hear that Cait!

T said...

Wow, happy to hear you're ok and that you are in good hands over there!

Caitie said...

Thanks T :-)