Thursday, 16 February 2012

Viennese Waltz

On Sunday morning Dan and I woke up and I made our usual pancake breakfast and then after breakfast Dan cleaned up the kitchen while I had a shower. Then he showered and played string with the cats while I started to make a picnic lunch for the winter walking excursion that we had planned.

As I was preparing the food, Dan would occasionally call to me to come and look at the cats as they wildly attacked the piece of string he was dragging like a snake across our bed. We do this a lot. It's actually perhaps a bit alarming how cute we think our cats are, and how often we call to each other and to hurry and see them doing something unbelievably adorable.

So as the morning progressed, Dan called to me one more time to come and look at the cats. Our bedroom door was slightly cracked and he was standing outside the door peering through the crack.

"Quick, you have to see this. Come here. Look at the bed."

So of course I had to look, because *duh*. So I pressed my face into the crack of our door and looked at the bed, but didn't see anything.

"What do you think?" Dan whispered.

"I don't know, I don't see anything," I whispered back. "What were they doing?"

"Just keep looking," Dan whispered again.

So then the seconds ticked by and I kept peering through the door like a creep, spying on my cats who were not visible.

"I don't see anything Sweets. But why is the suitcase open on the bed?"

Then Dan giggled. Like the sort of giggle that you've been trying to suppress for weeks and finally you don't have to anymore.

"BECAUSE WE'RE GOING ON A TRIP."

And then I smacked my nose on the door as I recoiled in surprise. A TRIP.

"A trip! WHEN! WHERE! OH MY GOD!"

"We're leaving tonight on the five o'clock train and I'm not telling you where we're going!"

Then I shrieked in happiness and turned around in circles because I was so excited and so confused about what my next move was to be. But what about the cats? And work? And deadlines? But Dan assured me our neighbour was checking in on the cats, he'd already cleared the time off with my work, and we weren't going to be gone so long that I'd fall behind with the extra responsibilities that I've got on the go right now. In fact, it now made sense why he'd been prompting me to just meet one deadline three days earlier than I had to. And it's a good thing I listened!

So then I ran to my computer to finish up a couple of things before I ran to the bedroom to start packing. The only thing he told me was that I had to bring warm clothes and we were taking an airplane. Then I ripped open every single one of my drawers and cried in distress, "But I haven't had a chance to buy a new travelling outfit!"

And then Dan laughed at me.

Does anyone else do this? Whenever I'm going somewhere I always plan my outfits, deem my current wardrobe unacceptable, and then buy a new shirt or two for the trip. But I persevered, packed, and before I knew it we were on the train heading up to the Zurich airport and eating our supposed picnic lunch for dinner on the train.

When we got to the airport I was practically vibrating.

WHERE ARE WE GOING. I CAN'T TAKE IT. I'LL HAVE A STROKE. TELL ME.

So as we stood to check our bags at the Air Berlin counter, Dan told me we weren't going to Berlin. In fact, we were on our way to Vienna and he had every last detail planned.

Vienna.

I was in Vienna this week and it was the coolest surprise I've ever had.

Details and pictures to come.

3 comments:

mom said...

Cait, that is so cool! Good on ya Dan for pulling that one off :-)

T said...

That is so awesome Caitie! I kept looking back at your blog to find out where you went and the suspense was killing me! Can't wait to see pictures :) Way to go Dan!

Anonymous said...

WOW! That's all I'm going to say!!
Jana