Saturday, 4 February 2012

Home Remedy

Since I've never had a cat before I owned Cosmo, I'm not sure if the same holds true for all felines. But, our two cats both get weepy eyes.

DSC_0639DSC_0767

It's not like they have weepy eyes every month, but about twice a year they each get a case of the weepies. Now when we first got Poppy, her eyes were in horrible shape. They were crusty with goo and they wept all the time. This is probably because the environment she'd been in for eight weeks had been absolutely filthy, and her eyes are a little sensitive to begin with. But all I know is I was going up to the vet's a lot to get eye drops for her.

About eight months after we'd gotten Poppy, we took the cats to an alternative vet (she basically practiced traditional medicine with an incorporation of holistic ideas) who seemed to think she'd be able to curb Cosmo's constant yowling, and while we were there Poppy was having another irritating case of the weepies.

Eye drops were getting expensive, yo!

The vet told us to brew a cup of Earl Grey tea, let it cool OBVIOUSLY, and dip a cotton pad in the cold tea and swab her eye out. Then to keep swabbing her eye out over the course of a few hours for two days.

I gave it a try, and it worked!

In fact, it worked so well that it was at least another six months before she had another case of the weepies.  I don't know what it is about the Earl Grey that works, but now whenever the cats get weepy eyes I just brew some Earl Grey and constantly swab out their eyes every few hours over the course of an evening, maybe two, and it clears the problem right up.

Since Cosmo has a weepy eye right now I've been using the Earl Grey, and again am amazed at how great it works. I thought maybe some other cat owners might find this useful. It really works a trick, and I haven't bought eye drops in six years.

Give it a try!


2 comments:

T said...

Cool! I can now say I learned something new today! Thanks Caitie :)

Caitie said...

No prob, T! I assume it would also work on dogs :-)