Monday, 17 October 2011

Solothurn: Church Life

Solothurn, like Bern, is both a city and a canton. I was in the city of Solothurn a few weeks ago and snapped some pictures of town and church life.

Today I will show you--per the fairly obvious title--church life.

The old city of Solothurn is really storybook picturesque; it is guarded on all sides by fortress walls and there is a river that, once upon a time, acted as a further defense. The bridge that you must cross over the river to reach the city maybe used to be guarded by fearsome trolls or helmeted soldiers, but now there's just a couple of hippies with flowing skirts and dirty hair asking you to sign petitions. If you make it past them, the town is your oyster. 

When you first leave the train station and are making your way towards the old city of Solothurn it would be impossible to get lost because this is the view that raises itself on the horizon, guiding you to the centre.

DSC_0239

DSC_0243

In case the architecture isn't giving it away, Solothurn is a Catholic canton.

That means that get more statutory holidays every year than the more moderate Protestant Bern.

Unjust! 

DSC_0249DSC_0246

DSC_0242

DSC_0354

For some reason though, I did not go into the churches. I'm only realizing this now, and I can't figure out why I didn't go inside? Why did the thought never occur to me? Was it the heat, frying my brain? Was it because I was so hungry, I only cared to sit on the stone steps and chow down on my chicken sandwich? Or was it because, in the sage words of my sister Meg, "You've seen one church you've seen them all. Now, where's an H&M?"

DSC_0257DSC_0356

DSC_0359

I suppose I'll never know.

(Though I can recommend on good authority that the Solothurn H&M doesn't have nearly as many change room dusty bunnies snacking on your toes as the one in Bern does.)

5 comments:

Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels said...

I don't think I've ever been to Solothurn - it looks so pretty! Perhaps a little road trip is in order.

As for H&M, we have plenty of those here in Zurich, but I do love checking out the local Confiserie ;-)

Caitie said...

Elisa--it really is a cute little town! And of course the local Confiseries are always a must to try out.

Ais said...

Hahaha! Sounds like something Meg would say :)

Caitie said...

Ais--Remember when we were in Lucerne and I was trying to show you guys the Hof church? That's when she said it! hahahaha. Oh Meg.

Ais said...

Hahaha! I kind of do remember that :) .....I might have to agree lol