Monday, 13 December 2010

Breakfast of Champions

You know what's so great about the Internet? Well, it's completely populated with talented people who don't mind passing along their knowledge.

Where else but on the Internet could all the mentally unstable minds of the world conglomerate to post detailed step-by-step instructions for how to cross that blue wire with red one? Or how to get to the next level of World of Warcraft?

Where else but on the Internet could a lady named Melva teach you how to bedazzle a kitten on to the back of your acid wash jean jacket?

Or where else but the Internet, after you've put an accidental hole in the drywall of your rental apartment (insert nervous laughter), could you can spend hours in front of YouTube learning how to fix that gaping hole above your bookshelf? (Not that I'd know anything about that! *Nervous laughter* Thank goodness for Swiss apartment walls that seem to be made of kryptonite. *Nervous laughter*.)

And where else but the Internet do you get to find amazing cheesecake recipes posted by uber lovely people?

CSC_0874
This is breakfast!
And probably lunch!
And likely my post-lunch snack!
And also my post-post-lunch snack!

This is a pumpkin and Grand Marnier cheesecake, which recipe can be followed step by step over at Romy's delicious blog, Half The Sugar Bowl.

I made this because Dan and I had friends over for coffee yesterday, and I wanted to serve them something they might not have tasted before, and I know that cheesecake isn't common in Switzerland. They loved this!

And people, you may find this hard to believe (or not) but I'm not a baker. It is too precise and I have a hard time not going 'Oh, what if I just throw a little pinch of this in. It'll turn out fine!'

Result: It doesn't.

But this recipe was easy to follow and I only suffered one nervous breakdown when I was trying to 'puree' my butternut squash without the proper kitchen tools. Of course you don't have to make your own pumpkin puree but I wanted to try. But note to you, Internet: in order to 'puree' something without loosing your mind, it would be an excellent idea to have a food processor and not just a fine mesh sieve that your nervous husband is gripping with both hands while you scream and curse as you manically mash and push those reluctant warm fibrous cubes of orange through the holes.

I warn you, it isn't pretty and there's a chance he may never look at you the same way again.

Oh how I miss my Cuisine Art mixer and food processor. Why does Europe have to have different voltage and electrical plugs than Canada? Why does Canada have to have different voltage and electrical plugs than Europe?

But now we're getting off track.

All I can say is go forth and make this cheesecake, and visit Romy's blog for other great baking ideas.

Now excuse me, I have to go eat my post-breakfast-pre-lunch snack.

Any guesses what it will be?

4 comments:

T said...

My mouth has been watering the entire time I read this. I'm so not a baker either (nor a cook) but I'm going to make it a personal goal to try that! (Either that or I'm going to convince someone else to make it for me...)

mom said...

It looks delicious Cait! You will have to make it for us when you are home in May.

mom

Habebi said...

Yummo!! And serious kudos to you for making the purée sans food processor. You are one brave chica! You should find one soon and a stand mixer. They make life beautiful they really do.

Btw those examples of what you can learn on the Internet cracked me up. I love the way your mind works. Enjoy the cheesecake!

Anonymous said...

Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

- Daniel