Wednesday, 2 June 2010

Things I Forgot About Dan

I am pretty jet-lagged today, and ended up sleeping in until two o'clock this afternoon.  It probably didn't help that I was wide awake at 3:30 a.m., so rather than wrestle with sleep I got up and called my family.  Huge phone bill, here we come.

Since I slept so late today, we didn't actually get to do a lot of what we had planned.  Mainly, hit up Ikea.  That's on the schedule for tomorrow.  This apartment echoes like Canada's Worst Driver's brain (read previous post for reference to this most witty analogy), so getting some furniture is a major priority.

We did go for a walk in our little shopping centre, and Dan dropped off some of his dry cleaning and showed me where he worked.  I was going to get pictures, but as I stood trying to snap a photo I realized I had left the battery in the charger.  So I lugged around my useless camera all afternoon.

Because I can't have a post completely void of substance, here's a little list of a few things I forgot about Dan.

(1) He's crazy tall.  I did remember he was taller than your average Joe, but when we hugged at the airport, I felt ridiculously shorter than my 5'5 stature.  People, when I'm in my bare feet the top of my head doesn't even clear his shoulder.  So yes, I forgot how tall he is.

(2) When left to his own devices, cooking is not a priority.  Take a look at the fridge as I saw it yesterday.

Contents include butter, jam, cheese spread, regular cheese, carrots, and a whole plate of chocolate.

(3) He is very neat and tidy.  I have only been here for twenty-four hours, and already I've managed to dump bread crumbs all over the floor, toss the contents of my suitcases in all four corners of the apartment, and leave my bed covers in a rumpled heap.  When we got home from our evening walk tonight, Dan walked in the apartment and took a deep breath and said, "Yeah, smells like you live here now."  Should I take this as a compliment?  Or not?

(4) He snores.  How had I forgotten this? It is SO annoying, and I blame him as the main reason I was awake at 3:30 a.m.

(5) He's a bossy little (tall) Swiss.  I was feeding the cats tonight and following my regular routine that I had perfected over the past 6 and 3/4 months, when he comes in the kitchen and turns off the running tap water. 

"Hey, leave that running.  I always leave the tap running while I fill their food dishes, that way they have optimal glacier cold water when I fill their water bowl at the end."

"They don't care about the temperature of the water.  It's just a waste to leave it running."

"How do you know, you're not a cat." And then I killed him dead with my glare, so he turned the tap back on.

(6) He learns quickly.

(7) And perhaps something I had not actually forgotten, but really missed, is that he is very thoughtful. Yesterday after I woke up from my three hour power nap, I discovered he'd gone out to get some food, and was in the midst of preparing me a delicious three course meal that consisted of instant soup, salad, and rosti and sausage.

Chef Dan whips up a masterpiece

So that was a small smattering of things I had forgotten about Dan.  I'm sure he'd forgotten a few things about me too.  Probably the biggest one being, how awesome I am.

5 comments:

deb said...

or how messy your....lol

deb said...

obviously I can't spell, "how messy you are". :-)

Ais said...

Haha, yeah, I'm not sure how i would feel if someone said that it smells like I live here now! Lol. At least your settling in nicely.

"OB" said...

yo ... Dan's fridge looks a lot like "one apple's" - not quite as bad but a close 2nd ... wonder what his native american indian name would be - must look that up! Missing you & hope that you're adjusting well! Cheers to you!

Anonymous said...

you have to give the boy props for having a plate of chocolate in the fridge. that's actually pretty awesome.

also, hi caitie! it's been way, way, too long! glad to see you blogging so i can spy on your lives.

jessica