Thursday, 3 June 2010

Nuclear Man

Doesn't that seem like it could be the newest catch phrase?

"How was the party?"

"So nuclear."

"How was your salad?"

"Totally nuclear, but I wish they left out the tomatoes."

Anyhow, as I said in an email this morning to a few people, Dan and I have been watching The Simpsons.  In Canada, I barely ever watched the show.  I liked it and thought it was funny, but I had 50 other channels of (questionable) quality entertainment to choose from.  Re-runs of Bart, Homer and the gang rarely peaked my interest.

But now, it's a whole new experience.  Except for the fact it's auf Deutsch, watching The Simpsons is like slipping on a comfortable pair of slippers: so familiar.

And my experience at the migration offices this afternoon definitely made me think of Homer.

I had sat down with the nice officer, and he started the process for getting me legally registered to be living here.  As Dan and I were getting ready to go, the officer started to assemble a little "Welcome to Switzerland" package for me.

I got some brochures about the village we're living in, I got a couple of free garbage bags (major score according to Dan. You pay a CHF 1.80 per garbage bag, so recycling is sort of a big deal around these parts), and then the officer put a package of pills into my goody-bag.

Oh how thoughtful, he knows what a headache it's going to be for me to navigate these streets alone once Dan goes back to work, and he's given me some Advil.

Clearly though, Dan didn't think these pills were Advil and a fast Swiss-German conversation between Dan and the officer took place.

The officer gave Dan a look that said, "You don't know these pills?"

And Dan gave the officer a look that said, "I have no idea what these pills are for."

More rapid Swiss-German was fired off, and then mutual laughter was exchanged as the officer grabbed a second package of pills and dropped them into the bag.

Meanwhile, I'm grinning like a Cheshire Cat the entire time.  I don't have a GD clue what the hell they're talking about, but those headache pills will sure come in handy.

As we're leaving the offices, I ask Dan what's the deal with the Advil?

"Oh, these aren't Advil," he says matter of factly as he comfortably strolls up towards the bus stop.

"What then?  What are they?"

"They're special pills we need if the nuclear reactor in Bern ever leaks.  We take the pills for two days and we'll be alright.  Everyone has them."

Nuclear whhaaatt?? Leak?? Where am I living!!!

And then an image of Homer Simpson flashed through my mind.  I hope the guy operating the Bern reactor is a little more...competent.

But at least I've got my pills, right? Right?

4 comments:

deb said...

OMG, I laughed so hard when I read about the pills. I thought you were going to say they were birth control pills!!

T said...

hahahaha, I thought of birth control pills too! I kept thinking maybe it was some subtle hint that they were trying to keep the population under control or something but didn't understand how they could just hand them out for free without being a doctor!

Ais said...

OMG!!!!!!!!! Get out of there Cait! Lol, that's insane that they're handing out pills in case of a nuclear leak! Well, I may just have to reconsider my upcoming visit now, as I wont have any of these 'special' pills!!!!!

JanaH said...

That is so funny Caitie!! Love reading your blog and so glad that you are there safe and sound! A big Hi to Dan from us and we'll keep reading and thinking of you guys!!
Trent and Jana!!